Creamy Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
This Potato Leek Soup. It’s unbelievably creamy, comforting and filling! It’s the perfect choice for those chilly days, too. This recipe is for the veganized version and it does not disappoint.
- Course: Main Course, Soup
- Recipe Type: Gluten-Free, Vegan
- Servings: 6 people
- Calories: 356 kcal
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil (or preferred oil)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 small onion , diced
- 3 large leeks , cleaned well & thinly sliced (white & light green part only) *See note
- 5 medium russet potatoes , peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon salt , more to taste
- Fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1.5 teaspoons dried thyme
- 0.5 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 0.5 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
- 1175 ml vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 240 ml Soya milk
- Spring onion , chopped
- Fresh ground pepper
- Make sure leeks are washed well first.
- Heat the oil, butter and a pinch of salt in a large pot over medium heat. Add the leeks & onion, sauté until softened, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and coriander. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Raise heat so it starts to simmer.
- Now reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove from heat and remove bay leaves. Stir in the coconut milk and optional lemon juice.
- Taste for seasoning and add more to taste.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth and creamy. You can also use a regular blender and carefully blend in batches.
- Chop spring onion for garnish
- Serve in soup bowls and top with chopped green onion, fresh ground pepper and a few pieces of cooked potato.