Bread and Butter Pudding
Bread and Butter Pudding makes a lovely dessert, and is so easy to make.
- Preparation time: 30 Minutes
- Cooking time: 50 Minutes
Ideally it should be light in texture with a nice crispy golden top and served hot is a perfect finish to a meal, if you really want to spoil yourself, put home made custard or ice cream on when you serve.
People sometimes confuse Bread and Butter Pudding with Bread Pudding which is something different, but just as tasty in its own way. Both puddings were traditionally seen as opportunities to use up stale bread.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 4/6 thin or medium sliced bread and butter
- 1 pint of milk
- 2 eggs
- 50g sultanas or raisins
- 50g currants
- 50g sugar
- Grated nutmeg
- Grease a medium sized ovenproof dish (about 6-8”).
- Butter the bread and then cut bread into triangles.
- Cover the bottom of the dish with a layer of bread then a layer of fruit and sugar on top, then another layer of bread with more fruit and sugar, finishing with a final layer of bread.
- Beat the eggs and milk together in a bowl.
- Then pour the milk and eggs over the pudding.
- Leave to stand for 10-20 minutes, until the eggs and the milk have soaked into the bread.
- Sprinkle a little ground nutmeg and a dusting of sugar to make the top nice and crispy.
- Cook for 50 minutes on gas mark 3 100c/200f.